Quantum Spin

Well, due to some spammer having found this obscure blog, I have been forced to refuse Anonymous posts. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for legitimate posters, but since I am unable to send feedback to the offending servers causing them to explode and burst into flames - well, I do what I can. Thank you to all my sincere commentators and may the spammers rot in digital agony.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Walking Tax?

Transportation Department Embraces Bikes, and Business Groups Cry Foul

By LEORA BROYDO VESTEL

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood announced “the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of nonmotorized.”

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has announced a “major policy revision” that aims to give bicycling and walking the same policy and economic consideration as driving.

“Today I want to announce a sea change,” he wrote on his blog last week. “This is the end of favoring motorized transportation at the expense of nonmotorized.”

The new policy, which was introduced a few days after Mr. LaHood gave a well-received speech from atop a table at the National Bike Summit, is said to reflect the Transportation Department’s support for the development of fully integrated transportation networks.
I wonder if LaHood - wasn't he the bad guy on Pale Rider? anyway - I wonder if Sec. LaHood realizes what pays for road maintenance.

It ain't bikes and pedestrians.

Start squeezing motorized vehicles off the roadways, and they'll have to start taxing walking and biking to make up for the shortfall.

1 Comments:

Blogger Allan Poindexter said...

They will have to tax something or tax the vehicles more. Nothing says that road maintenance has to be paid for out of road usage. My bet would be on them raising fuel taxes rather than taxing walkers or bikers. The latter would be far too politically suicidal.

2:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home