Quantum Spin

Well, due to some spammer having found this obscure blog, I have been forced to refuse Anonymous posts. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for legitimate posters, but since I am unable to send feedback to the offending servers causing them to explode and burst into flames - well, I do what I can. Thank you to all my sincere commentators and may the spammers rot in digital agony.

Friday, October 20, 2006

Cam, PI

Well, I am now a private investigator - of sorts.

A year and a half ago, I spent $7,000 for a computer security track at SMU. I took the course to get some training in Computer Forensics, but got some other training, too (ethical hacking, Security +, wireless stuff and CISSP).

But, since taking the classes, I've been unable to make much use of it. I was interviewed by Dallas Police for a position as manager of their Computer Forensics group, but they decided to promote from within, instead.

I thought of doing some freelance stuff on the side, but found out that any sort of investigations work in Texas must be done by a licensed private investigator. If not, the investigator AND the person who hires them, can be hit with a big fine and jail time.

To get the license, one had to be employed by a licensed PI firm. Or, if working independently (kind of a Rockford or Magnum affair), one had to have three years of investigation experience in law enforcement or with a PI firm. I had neither, so, I was out of luck there.

During some email correspondence, my Computer Forensics instructor asked me if I'd like to do some free-lance consultant work for his agency. His company has a PI license and it covers me as a PI.

Totally cool.

It's just part-time work, but it gets me the time in as an investigator so that I can go it alone down the road, if I like.

All I need now is a Ferrari, an uppity English major domo with two Dobermans and a guest house on a Hawaiian estate...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The show wasn't called "Tom, PI" so your title line should be "Kirmser, PI".

10:55 PM  
Blogger Cam said...

If it gets me a Ferrari, I'll make it Boogerdoo, PI...

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home