Quantum Spin

Well, due to some spammer having found this obscure blog, I have been forced to refuse Anonymous posts. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause for legitimate posters, but since I am unable to send feedback to the offending servers causing them to explode and burst into flames - well, I do what I can. Thank you to all my sincere commentators and may the spammers rot in digital agony.

Monday, March 06, 2006

Cargo Container Scrutiny

Bill Clinton gave a speech at Pace University in New York on Sunday. In this speech, he said, "I still really can't believe we only check five percent of our containers at all the ports in America, when we've had now for four years a study saying that unless we do 10 to 20 percent, there's no deterrent effect at all."

According to a GAO report of 3/27/96 (GAO/NSIAD/RCED-96-76BR);

"Cargo inspection technologies are particularly important because of the millions of containers that enter the United States through hundreds of land and sea ports of entry. Customs currently inspects less than 5 percent of these containers."

Clinton's administration inspected LESS than 5% of incoming cargo containers, yet he complains about current levels? Why didn't he address these inspection levels during his own administration? After all, in light of the '93 bombing of the World Trade Center, the Khobar Towers bombing, the Cole attack, etc., it seems to me that Clinton should've been a bit more aware of the terrorist threat to the US.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home